Murph Guitars

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Murph Guitars

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:27 am

TerryTNM wrote:Deke and Murph (on the right) came by my shop back in 2002 for a visit. The guy in the middle, I'm sorry to say I can't remember his name, came over from Australia for the most part to meet Deke and Murph. He is an historian of the Murph guitars and wanted to meet Murph first hand. I've tried to connect with him a couple of times but with no luck. Haven't had any contact with Murph since then either. Maybe Deke can fill in more information about this photo.
I put the year at 2002 because that's was the date generated by the photo properties but it might be later than that.
Terry, I'm wandering if the gentleman in the pic might be the same person that started the Murph website? His name is
Dan McGonigal from Sydney, Australia. Sadly, he also mentions that Thomas Patrick 'Pat' Murphy passed in NOV 2009.
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:37 am

This guitar reminds me of one that I built in the summer of '66. I built all the parts including single coil pickups and a Jazzmaster shaped vibrato I cut out of aluminum. I remember it was painted candy apply blue. The guitar was pretty crude so I traded it for a Honda motorcycle shortly after building it. I tried to trace it's location a few years ago but it's long gone. Fortunately I still have a drawing of the guitar that I made when I was coming up with the design.
Danny Ellison

TerryTNM
Top Producer

Postby TerryTNM » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:41 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:
TerryTNM wrote:Deke and Murph (on the right) came by my shop back in 2002 for a visit. The guy in the middle, I'm sorry to say I can't remember his name, came over from Australia for the most part to meet Deke and Murph. He is an historian of the Murph guitars and wanted to meet Murph first hand. I've tried to connect with him a couple of times but with no luck. Haven't had any contact with Murph since then either. Maybe Deke can fill in more information about this photo.
I put the year at 2002 because that's was the date generated by the photo properties but it might be later than that.
Terry, I'm wandering if the gentleman in the pic might be the same person that started the Murph website? His name is
Dan McGonigal from Sydney, Australia. Sadly, he also mentions that Thomas Patrick 'Pat' Murphy passed in NOV 2009.

Bing! That's the guy. Sorry to hear that Thomas Patrick Murphy has passed on. I'm glad I got to meet him.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:55 pm

Interesting to see how Leo's Jazzmaster -flagship of the Fender fleet in the day- has been such an inspirational design for others...not to mention Semie Moseley's
"The Ventures Model" having been so 'inspirational' too, and interestingly enough, it too has traces of Jazzmaster body-design in it along with the reversed Strat outline :P

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Danny, that is a sweet looking guitar!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

rynaro
Top Producer

Postby rynaro » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Danny that is a great lookin guitar! Nice jagstang feel about it (but decades earlier)
Tym Sweeping Wing Jr #Z0094 (murph trem & mastery bridge)/ Tym vibratone #A0080 (jag trem/pickups)>Heaps of pedals>Vox AC15HW
http://www.facebook.com/tenderbones
https://tenderbones.bandcamp.com
http://ryanlhumphreys.bandcamp.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:25 pm

Danny, I myself saw a Hybrid 'Jazz/Caster' in your '66 blueprint...... ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Wow Danny, that's cool! Too bad you can't track it down, but I'm amazed that after all these years you've got the blueprint! I'm lucky if I can find my car keys in the morning...
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:55 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Wow Danny, that's cool! Too bad you can't track it down, but I'm amazed that after all these years you've got the blueprint! I'm lucky if I can find my car keys in the morning...

You know me, I keep everything. Heck, I've still got all the paperwork including the little color catalog that came with my 1965 Bandmaster amp when I purchased it new. Never know when I may have to send it back for warranty work. :shock: :lol:
Danny Ellison

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:05 am

Danny--You're a wealth of surprises! Does that mean if I turn up the "Ellisonic" that I have to give it back to you? ;-)

And yes, Dan McGonigal is the guy who runs the Murph web site. I'm glad we got to get together with him and Pat Murphy and Terry.

My 12-string Satellite was a real weird find--it was on craigslist, down in Orange County. I went down there and it was an old lady with her son helping her sell stuff. Her husband died and they were selling stuff they found in the closets around their house. Apparently they had other guitars that another dealer bought, but he passed on the Murph. The dang thing was still in it's original plastic bag, never played, in totally mint condition! Her husband had been a Rickenbacker and Murph salesman back in the 60's and these things had stayed in his closet for over 40 years. Wild.

What's even wilder is that recently a real nice guy in Kansas named Steve Jirak walked up to me at a show in Wichita and GAVE me a prototype "Baby Murph" Satellite guitar from the 60's. He wanted it to join the 12-string. Nice guy, and another cool and crazy Murph! There is a picture of this Baby Murph on the website... www.murphguitars.com

Deke

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”