Project: Duo Sonic

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Fender Duo Sonic

Postby dubtrub » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Very nice melodic runs. I've never understood why guitarists have to use the head moves and facial expressions with eyes closed when playing Blues. You don't see that with Country players 'chicken picken' which is quite expressional. I love playing Blues, maybe that's why my style of Blues playing sounds so blah.
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:50 pm

dubtrub wrote:I've never understood why guitarists have to use the head moves and facial expressions with eyes closed when playing Blues.
I guess it's because the Blues originated from hardship, pain and suffering :roll: Naw, it's probably the Blues-alternative for keeping correct timing instead of the more regular foot-tapping method. Maybe Jon Fine will chime in here :?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Here's a fun Blues jam on a Duo Sonic and Musicmaster. I had one of those tweed Champ Amps (new) and traded it in for brown Vibrolux (new), then traded that in on the 65 Bandmaster which I still have. Man if I could have kept all of them! I guess I'm experiencing 'old age nostalgia'.

Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:50 pm

dubtrub wrote:Here's a fun Blues jam on a Duo Sonic and Musicmaster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlHbDIHMk-s
Good video and a good demonstration. Some of the commentators on youtube didn't seem to get the point about the two Short Scale models being given the description of a "child's guitar" and giving vent to their misplaced emotions LOL. The demonstrators weren't down-playing or knocking the guitars at all -and they played good to my ears...small amps- and probably a hand-held cam-mic taping too, considering!

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Sat May 01, 2010 3:25 am

Oh, yeah, the "guitar player face"! "Gurning", I think, is an old term for that sort of thing. I've always thought it was hilarious. "The pain of the world is in my guitar!" "I'm so soulful every note hurts!" Puh-leeze. And why is it that primarily blues-based players indulge in that stuff? You'd never see Segovia doing that, or Les Paul. I think it's schtik, myself--showmanship, or just jive! I used to do it a bit myself, as a joke, but nobody realized it was a joke, so I stopped. Apparently when I'm really concentrating on what I'm playing, I kind of go slack-jawed and my eyes glaze over, but I don't think I've been caught drooling on the guitar yet! As far as foot-tapping goes, I've never been able to tap my foot and play at the same time--luckily, I seem to be able to keep time without flapping my extremities.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat May 01, 2010 4:10 am

jfine wrote:As far as foot-tapping goes, I've never been able to tap my foot and play at the same time--luckily, I seem to be able to keep time without flapping my extremities.
LOL, I can't either...if I do try, my timing then really gets screwed up, ha, ha. Thanks for your input Jon, great fun reading, as always.
I always seem to get comments about my 'sour' facial expression during play but I can't help it...I'm just concentrating very hard :cry:

But I can smile!!! :) :P :D :lol:

Paul

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:09 am

Now that was funny! :lol:
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 04, 2010 6:20 pm

Well, this is fast becoming a forum member project. Photo enlargements from Mel, then drawings from a forum member at the :arrow: ReRanch forum, was kind enough to send me drawings from an original 56-63 version Duo Sonic that he had worked on. So today I took the plunge and made the first cuts. Once the wood is sawn there's no turning back. It's not a Mosrite, but is anyone interested in following the build of a Duo Sonic? I don't want to bore you with another guitar project as it seems like I've always got something in the mill. I'm also in the process of building an early 50s Champ amp patterned off the original schematics of a Champion 600. But that's another topic for another day. ;)

:arrow: Image
Danny Ellison

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:33 pm

Heck yeah! I'm definately interested in watching the process. :mrgreen:
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue May 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Definitely keep us informed of progress! What kind of wood are you using?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”