Project: Duo Sonic

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Fender Duo Sonic

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:31 am

Mel---In reference to John's guitar,

Yeah, well you were safe as long as you were not soloing on it :lol: .....

p.s. former owner of a '64 325 Model......and the Dental Tool
they had for a trem system....was only good for flossing :mrgreen: .....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:33 am

I don't know if you guys remember this or not, but duo sonics were reissued in the early to mid 90's as well. I'm not sure what the quality was though. it was about the same time fender reissued the jaguar, mustang and jazzmaster. I know some thought these reissues weren't as well made, but the ones I played I really liked. I still have a catalog from then, if you think it would help danny, I'll look up the specs. From what I remember the nut width was the same on the duo-sonics as the mustang, but I'm not 100% sure.
That desert sand color is pretty cool.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:53 am

I snagged this off the Wack-a-pedia......

'Reissues'

In 1993 Fender released a Mexican-made reissue Duo-Sonic in a 22.7" scale. It was available in black, torino red and arctic white and cost $259.99. It was dropped from the Fender line in 1997 but was then launched again as a Chinese made Squier Affinity model in 1998 only to be dropped in 1999.

In 2008, the Duo-Sonic was re-released by Fender's Squier brand in the Classic Vibe series of guitars. It is intended to be closely modeled after the model released in the 1950s and looks very similar with a maple fret-board, gold pick-guard and Desert Sand body. Difference include the material used for the body is now basswood, the neck is now a 24" scale and is C-shaped with more modern medium jumbo frets.......
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Dub:
Sorry for jumping in so late here, but I have a mid 60's Mustang neck and body in the basement if you want full size tracings.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Mr. Bill wrote:Dub:
Sorry for jumping in so late here, but I have a mid 60's Mustang neck and body in the basement if you want full size tracings.

Thanks for the offer, but between Mel's photo's and my mechanical drawings, I have a reasonable facsimile to work with.

I used Mel's photo enhancement of a current reissue Squier Duo Sonic and did some free hand drawing to more closely replicate the shape of the original, especially with the pickguard. The pickups and bridge location is much different.

Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Cool! I'm glad you were able to make use of those not-quite-scale drawings!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:42 am

The earlier variant has been known to turn up in an opaque sunburst shading from yellow in the center to a sort of maroon at the edges. They're not as common as the Desert Sand versions, but they do exist. All of the sunburst Duo-Sonics I've ever seen had white pickguards and rosewood fingerboards, so the burst probably was introduced with the rosewood board around '59. Jimi Hendrix played one during his early-to-mid-'60's days in New York--there are pics of him playing it with Curtis Knight and the Squires.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:32 am

Here's a sunburst one. It looks like the bass side horn is pointier on the vintage ones, and the pickguard is slightly different. Also looks like the waist offset is less dramatic.

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:53 am

MWaldorf wrote:Here's a sunburst one. It looks like the bass side horn is pointier on the vintage ones, and the pickguard is slightly different. Also looks like the waist offset is less dramatic.

http://www.patguitar.com/images/Fender_ ... 794_01.jpg

Yeah, I've made photo's of each of the various model and have been comparing them side by side and have decided to put the project on hold until I can obtain tracings from the real deal, 63 or earlier. I don't think I would be happy unless it was exact in appearance, shape and feel. There is something about those later bodies that just don't look right.
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:22 pm

Hey Danny, good luck in getting the necessary info on the real deal. Let's take a listen to the real deal meanwhile ;)

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”