Project: Duo Sonic

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Fender Duo Sonic

Postby 101Volts » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:02 am

Yes, The Mustang is based on the Duo Sonic. (The Mustang was first made in 1964) The Duo Sonic doesn't have a trem system, I'm not sure what the other differences are.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:19 am

MWaldorf wrote:Sounds like a cool project Danny. I posted your request over on the offset guitar forum, too.

Thanks, Mel. Hopfully someone will respond and offer to do a tracing.

As for the various guitars that evolved from the Duo Sonic, I've never handled one and have no idea how the compare in size, shape or feel. I want to stay with the 22 1/2" scale as on the original. I see them regularly on eBay and have bid on a few bodies and project guitars but the prices jump way higher than I would pay for a guitar to sit in the corner and look cool. No one around B-field that I know has one except Guitar Center and I wouldn't feel comfortable asking them. As usually happens, about six years ago there was one at the swap meet for $65. I couldn't justify spending $65 for something I didn't need. So now I'll spend about $2000 in man hours building one.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:52 am

One of the guys on the Offset Forum said he's going to send me a trace of an MIM Squier Duo. He's in London so it may take a while to get here, but hopefully it's a start. I asked about body thickness too so hopefully we'll have an answer on that for you shortly too.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:09 am

OK, word is the Duo is 1.5" thick.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks again Mel. I'll keep my finger crossed for someone stateside that can do a tracing and get it to me a little sooner. The weather is beautiful now and would be perfect for starting a new build. Someone on eBay sells pickguards, so I'll probably have to spend $42 plus shipping to get one just to make a tracing to make one the right color.

Here's a beauty that's exactly like the one I owned way back when.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:10 pm

dubtrub wrote:Thanks again Mel. I'll keep my finger crossed for someone stateside that can do a tracing and get it to me a little sooner. The weather is beautiful now and would be perfect for starting a new build. Someone on eBay sells pickguards, so I'll probably have to spend $42 plus shipping to get one just to make a tracing to make one the right color.

That's a pretty straight shot of the guitar - theoretically you could scale that up and use that as the template. If you don't have the tech I could probably do that for you.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:16 pm

dubtrub wrote:Here's a beauty that's exactly like the one I owned way back when.

Hey Danny, looking at it really up close for the first time, I realise it's configuration of the electrics is pretty much like the Mosrite's (not counting Mel's 'Tri-rites', heh ;) ) Notice, even the NECK-pickup of this Fender is slanted albeit in an opposite angle :?
And good luck with your 'nostalgic' project :) I take it you're planning to do the same finish...butterscotch, is it? Very nice.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:51 pm

MWaldorf wrote:That's a pretty straight shot of the guitar - theoretically you could scale that up and use that as the template. If you don't have the tech I could probably do that for you.

Nope! Don't have the savvy to make up my own drawings via computer. I don't know the measurements to blow up to scale plus I wouldn't be able to transfer it to large enough paper. All I can do is 8X11. Here is a link to some good drawings if you know how to increase it to the exact scale that would be fantastic.

http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/curren ... ervice.pdf
Danny Ellison

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:15 pm

That's a nice drawing. Do you happen to the know the scale length and width of the neck at the nut? From those two dimensions, plus the drawing it would be pretty straight forward to generate a scaled version drawing.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Hey Danny,

does this information look correct to you?

1959 DuoSonic.

First introduced in mid 1956, the original Duosonic (two pickups) and the Musicmaster (one pickup) were Fender's 3/4 size, student model, 22.5" short scale beginners guitars. Master tone, master volume, 3-way pickup selector (switch on Duosonic only; with the switch in the middle position, the two pickups are in series, giving a humbucking pickup type sound). Hence their value is low compared to other models. These short scale student models were made to the same high quality standards and materials that Fender used for its more expensive models. For this reason, pre-1964 Musicmasters and Duo-Sonics are very well made.
In late 1964 both models moved to second generation, coinciding with the introduction of the Mustang. The "II" designation was then added to the DuoSonic and MusicMaster names. These models are more like the Mustang (except the Mustang has a vibrato), than the original DuoSonic/MusicMaster models. The differences in the new generation were in the body shape, pickguard, and electronics. It was available with either a 22.5" or 24" scale, but is most often found with the longer scale. The 24" scale Duo-Sonic II, Musicmaster II, and Mustang of the September 1965 to October 1966 period are sometimes found with a slab rosewood fingerboard, usually of Indian rosewood (click here for a picture of this). Some Fender experts speculate that the slab board necks were leftovers from 1962 Jaguars. This is not correct as the dot spacing, peghead shape, and type of rosewood on a 1962 jaguar neck is different than these 9/65 to 10/66 necks. Mostly likely, since Fender was backordered on these guitars, slab boards were used because the manufacturing process was quicker for this style of fingerboard (a veneer fingerboard requires another manufacturing step).

1956 Duosonic/Musicmaster specs:
Slab 3/4 size body, Desert Sand brown finish. Early 1956 models had an Ash body, later 1956 models had an Alder body.
Anodized aluminum pickguard (Duosonic has two pickups, Musicmaster has one pickup).
Serial number on neck plate.
One piece maple 22.5" short-scale neck, 1 5/8" nut width.
1959 Duosonic/Musicmaster specs:

Sunburst finish offered. This sunburst if often called "maroonburst" since it is an opaque finish with a yellow or peach center, and maroonish edges. Sometimes this sunburst was painted over the Desert Sand color.
Slab Rosewood fingerboard.
Single layer thick white pickguard.

Mid-1961 Duosonic/Musicmaster specs:
Desert Sand color dropped; only available in sunburst.
1.5" nut width.
1963 Duosonic/Musicmaster specs:

Sunburst finish dropped, white finish now standard. During late summer/fall of 1963 brown plastic pickguards are seen on these models with white body finish.
Late 1964 Duosonic II/Musicmaster II specs:

Scale length increased to 24".
"II" added after model name to designate increased scale length.
Body restyled like Mustang with offset waist.
3 ply plastic pickguard.
Colors available were red, white and blue.
1969 DuoSonic discontinued.
1969 Musicmaster: both 22 1/2" and 24" scale models designated "Musicmaster"

If I am following this correctly, then you would want a 22 1/2" scale length and the width at the nut 1 5/8"

Does that sound correct to you?
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”