Ric-O-Sound Thingy?

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Ric-O-Sound Thingy?

Postby Veenture » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:I know I'm gonna 'light a fuse,' but I always thought the 'Stereo' guitars
by the different manufacturers were as useless as watching grass grow :roll: .
I could never understand the practical use for them either...but put some of these stompboxes (featuring stereo effects) in between and you get some dramatic results...like the stereo chorus patch on my Yamaha Magicstomp; very cool through two amps 8-)

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Veenture wrote:
Dennisthe Menace wrote:I know I'm gonna 'light a fuse,' but I always thought the 'Stereo' guitars
I could never understand the practical use for them either...but put some of these stompboxes (featuring stereo effects) in between
and you get some dramatic results...like the stereo chorus patch on my Yamaha Magicstomp; very cool through two amps 8-)

Understood Paul ;) , what I was referring to were the guitars themselves. I've been playing in stereo for 25 years now, and it never made
any sense to me to have a neck pick up sound on one side of the stage and a bridge pick up on the other side. Most guitars with 2 pick ups
are set up so that you can basically go from a mellow/bass/jazz sound on the neck p'up to a bright/treble/rock sound at the bridge.
Using the 'stereo' guitars can not accomplish that due to the pick up displacement......Another words if you are playing an aggressive
surf/rock tune with one of these stereo guitars, and you were to walk from one side of the stage to the other, you would hear your
guitar go from a nice bright sound to a mushy mellow sound......
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Tronman

Postby Tronman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:02 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:
Veenture wrote:
I could never understand the practical use for them either...but put some of these stompboxes (featuring stereo effects) in between
and you get some dramatic results...like the stereo chorus patch on my Yamaha Magicstomp; very cool through two amps 8-)

Understood Paul ;) , what I was referring to were the guitars themselves. I've been playing in stereo for 25 years now, and it never made
any sense to me to have a neck pick up sound on one side of the stage and a bridge pick up on the other side. Most guitars with 2 pick ups
are set up so that you can basically go from a mellow/bass/jazz sound on the neck p'up to a bright/treble/rock sound at the bridge.
Using the 'stereo' guitars can not accomplish that due to the pick up displacement......Another words if you are playing an aggressive
surf/rock tune with one of these stereo guitars, and you were to walk from one side of the stage to the other, you would hear your
guitar go from a nice bright sound to a mushy mellow sound......

I no longer gig, but when I did, I never separated the speakers. The neck pickup of my Ric 4001 went through a folded horn cabinet with 2 15" EV speakers powered by an Ampeg SVT head and the bridge pickup went through 2 Heil AMT1 speakers that were on top of the EV's and were powered by some Ampeg transistor amp that I can't remember the model of. Effects were on one pickup or the other (usually the bridge pickup). The sound was much better than running the Ric in mono, which I did in small venues.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro III Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Guitar
Martin DM Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Bass

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:25 am

Tronman wrote:I no longer gig, but when I did, I never separated the speakers. The neck pickup of my Ric 4001 went through a folded horn cabinet with 2 15" EV speakers powered by an Ampeg SVT head and the bridge pickup went through 2 Heil AMT1 speakers that were on top of the EV's and were powered by some Ampeg transistor amp that I can't remember the model of. Effects were on one pickup or the other (usually the bridge pickup). The sound was much better than running the Ric in mono, which I did in small venues.

Hey Bernie!
That makes TOTAL sense the way that you used the Bass set up,especially the bridge p'up going thru the effects for a crisp sound. And although you were in stereo, you were still actually using the p'ups as an either/or situation, not necessarily having both p'ups on at the same time. The problem with the stereo guitars were the bright sound on one side of the stage and mushy on the other. Yeah, you could get stereo sound from the guitar, but the EQ (tone) of the guitar was wacked out.....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Tronman

Postby Tronman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:40 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:
Tronman wrote:I no longer gig, but when I did, I never separated the speakers. The neck pickup of my Ric 4001 went through a folded horn cabinet with 2 15" EV speakers powered by an Ampeg SVT head and the bridge pickup went through 2 Heil AMT1 speakers that were on top of the EV's and were powered by some Ampeg transistor amp that I can't remember the model of. Effects were on one pickup or the other (usually the bridge pickup). The sound was much better than running the Ric in mono, which I did in small venues.

Hey Bernie!
That makes TOTAL sense the way that you used the Bass set up,especially the bridge p'up going thru the effects for a crisp sound. And although you were in stereo, you were still actually using the p'ups as an either/or situation, not necessarily having both p'ups on at the same time. The problem with the stereo guitars were the bright sound on one side of the stage and mushy on the other. Yeah, you could get stereo sound from the guitar, but the EQ (tone) of the guitar was wacked out.....

Dennis, my first and third guitars were Gibson ES345's (wish I still had them). I used the stereo cable with a two-channel amp, but never ran the pickups through separate amps, so I don't know what I was missing. The stereo Ric bass bridge pickup has no bottom end at all. I imagine it would sound really strange if you separated the amps.

- Bernie
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro III Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Guitar
Martin DM Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Bass

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 pm

I know I'm gonna 'light a fuse,' but I always thought the 'Stereo' guitars

I agree with you Dennis totally. And the irony of it all is the last guitar I bought was a Mosrite Stereo 350 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”