My psychedelic Strat winter project

Vec

My psychedelic Strat winter project

Postby Vec » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:42 pm

Just for the fun of it, I always wanted to build a Strat style guitar that had some cool, on-board lighting effects. So, with a little time on my hands this winter, I found an inexpensive Strat style guitar on ebay that had a clear acrylic body that I thought would be a good candidate for the project. So the devious psycho-Strat plan was set into motion ;).

The first thing I did was to gut/rebuild the existing electronics and replace the pickups with a set of Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials that I had laying around from a previous project. Next, I routed a slot in the body for a 9 volt battery that will be used to power the on-board lighting. Finally, I installed 4 multi-color LED's, wired up the associated switching, and re-dressed the fretwork .

The multi-color LED's are capable of 6 solid colors and one random flashing mode. Here are photo's of the finished project psycho-Strat with the first photo showing how the guitar looks in normal room light followed by 3 of the 6 solid colors in semi-darkness:
"Life is too short for a "B" rig"

rog43win
Top Producer

Re: My psychedelic Strat winter project

Postby rog43win » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:39 pm

AMAZING! Is that cool or what? Beautiful job, Vec!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:46 am

That is really cool Vaugn, I've never seen a psychedelic guitar like that before; great idea! How about making the dot markers glow in the dark too? :D
(Actually, a few years back I wrote to Fender with my wacky idea about glowing dot markers...but I guess it was too wacky cuz I've never had any reply from them...or even been rewarded a free Strat :cry: ...:lol: :lol: :lol:

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:54 am

Very cool! Rickenbacker had a lighted psychedelic guitar way back when - they go for huge prices now. You now have a guitar that you can change the color to suit your mood ... nice!
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 am

GattonFan wrote:You now have a guitar that you can change the color to suit your mood ...
I can almost hear an audience calling out requests...not for sound adjustments like "more reverb!!" etc., but ...for COLOUR!! :D

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:38 am

In one of Tommy Tedesco's books, he mentions doing a session for a producer who asked him to "play it more green"...with that guitar he could've done it!

Vec

Postby Vec » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:30 pm

This may sound strange but, if I'm just fiddlin' around my den, I've noticed that changing the color setting of the guitar's lighting seems to affect how & what I play. Psychologists say that color affects our mood and, based on my chameleon psycho-Strat, I think I agree with that. Red seems to bring out more aggressive playing, blue & green seem to mellow, yellowish/amber seems to bring out happy. Funny how that works. Now, if I get the time to tinker with it, it might be cool to see if I can get the lighting to vary with what I'm playing.

woodchuck30
Top Producer

Postby woodchuck30 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Cool strat, but I think you have way too much time on your hands :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vec

Postby Vec » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:08 pm

woodchuck30 wrote:Cool strat, but I think you have way too much time on your hands :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup...got laid off from my job a few months ago with the crap economy and I don't want my hands to become the devil's workshop...so I sit around coming up with silly guitar ideas and try to flesh them out ;).

I'd really like to purchase another Hallmark Custom 60 but, for now, the creative juices seem to be flowing...and they just manifest themselves in silly guitar ideas :lol: .

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:23 pm

Not to get off topic but I know it sucks to get laid off. I got laid off around this time last year then got called back 2 months later with a promotion and a raise. Then 3 weeks ago I had to lay off 3 of the 5 guys on my crew.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”