Early 1960s Ampeg Jet J-12 Amp

JimPage
Top Producer

Early 1960s Ampeg Jet J-12 Amp

Postby JimPage » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:35 pm

Hey--

I played through one of these last week at a band practice, a small gray combo amp in mint condition that belongs to our lead guitar player.

I was playing Bakersfield country stuff on my Celebrity.

The reason I mention this is that the combination of the amp and guitar was quite striking; it was a very sweet sound.

I don't know how common or popular these amps are, but it was nice enough for even me to notice, and I am no amp expert. I am going to take the H60C to this Thursday night's practice and see how that sounds through that amp.

I know most folks seem to focus on old Fender amps, and with good reason, but this was a classy sounding unit. I know that back in the day, I used to use various old Gibson and Silvertone tube amps for guitar and bass, and I always thought they sounded nice, though they were not especially loud.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

rog43win
Top Producer

Re: Early 1960s Ampeg Jet J-12 Amp

Postby rog43win » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi Jim.......I believe you because back in the '60's, it seemed that most of the bass players in our area were playing their basses through Ampeg amps......not too many had Fender Bassman amps.........and the sound was perfect.....nice and deep and full and no buzzes or rattles....I can't tell you the model numbers of the amps they used, but definitely Ampegs...

Roger

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:15 pm

I just traded a friend for a 1962 Reverberocket. It is super condition with all original RCA tubes and footswitch.This amp sounds sooo good! Ampeg had onboard reverb before Fender and this reverb sounds great.Ampeg called it echo or as the control panel says..dimension.I changed some caps and put on a three prong power cord and this amp ready for another 48 years!!

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Danny Ellison

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Hey, Danny--

Thanks for posting to that amp discussion!!! Excellent. By the way, that amp you recovered is super attractive!

Seeing the Twin as a piggyback reminds me of an amp I have done that way. A pal gave me a Peavey Artist 240 VT that someone had lost the original combo cabinet for. He made a head-only cabinet for it and another pal covered it in tolex. I found some nice leather handles and chrome corners, and made a plexi faceplate, and it looks quite nice.

I haven't used it much, but when I do, I play it through a new Ampeg SVT12HE bass speaker enclosure and it works pretty well, and is a lot easier to lug around than if it was still a combo.

I need to get a reverb tank for the amp, though.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:56 am

Ampegs were certainly considered a quality amp back in the '60's. (I can't vouch for the '50's as I didn't start playing until '62.) Fender had the lion's share of the amp market at that time--I've read that at some point in the mid-'60's, 90% of the amps sold worldwide were Fenders. One of the reasons you don't see as many Ampegs as Fenders from that era is that Ampeg was a much smaller company, and also that Everett Hull, the company's founder, hated rock 'n' roll and actually stated in company literature that his amps were not to be used for high-volume (read: rock 'n' roll) music! The big Ampegs like the SVT, V-4, and VT-22 didn't come along until '69, after Mr. Hull was out of the picture. Ampegs were pretty common in studios--there was a bunch of New York studio guitarists called something like the New York Guitar Club, who made sure that every studio in town had Ampeg amps for them to play through--and the Portaflex was the standard bass amp in studios. I remember thinking that Fenders were for rock and Ampegs were jazz amps, but I was a teenager then--what did I know? Those old Jets were little screamers!

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:25 am

In the mid 60's our band had an Ampeg Echojet. The amp was bare bones, no reverb, no tremolo, but had a set of aligator clips that could be clipped to another amp's speaker to add reverb to the other amp. Gota be one of the weirdest amp set-ups ever. I recently got another one, and it is a screamer.
Jim

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:53 am

Our bass player, who is my age or so, says that back in the '60s, most Ampegs had inputs marked "guitar" and "accordion."

Funny!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 am

JimPage wrote:Our bass player, who is my age or so, says that back in the '60s, most Ampegs had inputs marked "guitar" and "accordion."

Funny!

--Jim

Hey Jim,
It wasn't funny for the accordian player, he had to go through some kind of an amp :lol: , and I think Lawrence Welk was still popular back then (?).
And someone already mentioned earlier that Ampeg was using the word 'Echo' for their Reverb effect on their amps......go figure.... :roll:

p.s.--BTW I have 'ECHO' on my '68-'69 Ampeg GU-12 ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 am

My Reverberocket has three inputs.One marked guitar,one for accordion and one for mic.The accordion input for some reason sounds better with guitar than the guitar input sounds :o I do remember using the guitar and mic inputs on other amps at the same time because we had no PA.But that was many moons ago.Old Supro amps also had an input for accordion.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”