G&L vs. Fender

CookieMan

G&L vs. Fender

Postby CookieMan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:20 am

Anyone out there have an opinion on G&L guitars, especially in comparison w/Fender? Seems to me like the G&L Strat an Tele clones get comparable or better reviews than their 'original' counterparts, and the price is significantly lower. IS there a big difference, or is it all about name recognition? I'd love to hear someone's take on this.

Never spend your guitar or your pen

--- Pete Townshend/The Who

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: G&L vs. Fender

Postby oipunkguy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:18 pm

I've played quite a few G&L's and I think they're great guitars. They offer a fender feel but a look that is a little different, and is very high quality. Personally, I think if it wasn't for G&L reminding fender how's it's done, Fender wouldn't be such a good guitar company today. When G&L came out, it was during fender's CBS period, and at that time G&L's were a better instrument. Today I would say they are about the same in quality. Just my opinion.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

CookieMan

Postby CookieMan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:46 am

Thanks, oipunkguy. So I guess at this point it's still the name and not the quality that dictates the price.

That being said, I'm by no means anti-Fender. I do have an early 70's Competition Mustang which I'm pretty fond of, but might consider parting with if the price was right. I started playing guitar on my dad's old Telecaster years back, and I've been thinking of picking one up for myself, but the US Fender prices seem ludicrous to me. Plus the fact I really dig the idea of a Tele body with P90s in it and G&L's got some sweet-looking ones. Every now and again I see one on ebay and find myself drooling a little...

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:36 am

CookieMan, do you mean something like this???

make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

CookieMan

Postby CookieMan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:35 am

Something like that, though I think I'd prefer a solid body, a maple fingerboard and a different bridge, maybe a trem. I must admit I've always been a fan of that Les Paul-style electronics configuration - separate tone and volume for each pickup - great for switching from rhythm to lead. And the finish is sweeeet! I'm not exactly in the market at the moment, but then again...

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:50 am

I'm on my third G&L ASAT. Great guitar. I had to special-order it to get what I wanted--the previous two were bought off the rack. After adding up all the options I ordered, retail price on my ASAT Z-3 semi-hollow was $2400 (in 2001), but it was worth it. I sold a Les Paul that I'd had for twenty years to pay for the Z-3. In my opinion, G&L's are generally better than new production-model Fenders. Don't get me wrong--I'm not knocking Fender--they're turning out quite decent stuff these days, but you've got to get a Custom Shop Fender (at three or four times the price) to equal the quality of a production-model G&L. Yet Fender outsells G&L by a huge margin--proof that a lot of people buy with their eyes rather than their ears or hands. Incidentally, the big G&L Magnetic Field Design pickups aren't soapbars. They look a little like P90's, but they don't sound like them--they'e more like a good Tele pickup.

CookieMan

Postby CookieMan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:31 am

Thanks for your input, jfine. Didn't know that about the G&L pickups; looks can be deceiving.

I might just go for a G&L ASAT one of these days - people seem to have plenty of good stuff to say about 'em - but right now I'm waiting for my Hallmark 60 Custom to arrive. Bob should finally have those cases in about a week.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:23 pm

I was never much of a fender fan until I did enough setups on newer american standard fenders that customers brought me into my shop and I really changed my opinion on the brand.

Honestly Cookie, considering the quality of a new fender guitar I think the price is about right. New Gibsons are far more expensive, and in my opinion is lacking the quality of a new fender. Since Fender redid the american standard line in 2008, fender has been really kickin a** in guitar building. But what you may want to try is look for NOS or a slightly used one from 08 or 09. the price will be down a bit. But either way you go G&L or Fender is a great instrument. I don't think you will be disappointed either way you go
Cheers,
Aaron

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Keep in mind that the G in G&L stands for George Fullerton and the L stands for Leo Fender, ya pretty much can't go wrong with one, very nice guitars.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:15 pm

yeah, i miss playing G&L guitars, it's been too long.
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”