Help wanted: Gibson R. and D.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: Help wanted: Gibson R. and D.

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:12 am

on the zoot suit SG, that thing is interesting. I got to play one, but didnt get to plug it up. so I can't comment on the tone. but what's kinda cool, is the bobbins on the pickups are clear, so you can see all the copper windings. the water coloring on the body is also cool to me, just because it's unique. it kinda was reminiscent of eric claypons sg when he was in cream, in my opinion. Not the same thing, but that's what I thought when I first saw it.
But I wouldn't market it as a major line guitar, I would shoot for a limited edition type of thing. it's just too bad this guitar didnt come out in 68-69, it probably would have been more popular. oh well.
What really sucks is the Hammy Hagar chickenfoot les paul. it's just a red LP standard with a 5000 price tag. and for the extra 3000 you are paying you get an ugly logo on the headstock. even most of the people on the gibson web site was bad mouthing this guitar. at least when semie came up with a signature guitar he put real thought into it. Maybe we all are spoiled from his brilliance, I dunno...
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:45 am

oipunkguy--I was around in '68-'69, fancied myself a hippie, and I think I'd have felt the same way about the Zoot Suit SG as I actually did about paisley Teles--I remember laughing at them! I think paisley Teles are pretty cool now--I wonder if that has anything to do with James Burton turning up with one? If James plays it, it's got to be cool, right?

woodchuck30
Top Producer

Postby woodchuck30 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 pm

Hay Jfine, I agree with what you say 100% however, thats old school thinking. Now days they dont really care about the customer or how many gituars you've purchased from them in the past it's all about money, thats the bottmon line.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:25 pm

I never cared for the paisley teles until I saw them in person. Now I actually really love the look of them, the finish is so 3-D. the blue flower bass is the same way. I dont think it's a guitar for me, but I still admirer them a great deal.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”