Odd/Funny Guitar Reviews

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Odd/Funny Guitar Reviews

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:57 am

I do a lot of homework before I make a purchase. The internet makes a through review relatively easy.
I have come across a few that have made me wonder more about the reviewer than the item being reviewed. The most recent was the guy who was giving a review of a guitar that he had ordered via the internt. He described the guitar in great detail, then he described his amp. Then he listed about ten pedals that he was playing through. Then he complained that he didn't like the sound of the guitar. What I have to wonder is, with everything between the guitar and the amp, how did he have any idea how the guitar actually sounded ?
Don

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Odd/Funny Guitar Reviews

Postby Veenture » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:34 pm

The thing I find is, if your playing sucks, so will your guitar (or amp). A bad workman always blames his tools.
Any talented player will make almost any ol' guitar sound 'good' and often in so doing, spark a desire for that instrument by the fans of the player. Ain't that so? :?

I always try to pick out the objective views experiences etc. in a guitar review or "read between the lines" and also try to read as many reviews on the subject
(err...object ;) ) as I can. Harmony Central is a website I often visit for this purpose.

See http://www.harmony-central.com/

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:07 pm

A pet peeve that I have is the folks that don't know a humbucker from a single coil. One guy described the pick-ups on his Tele as "single coil humbuckers". I just wanted to reach out and shake the guy.
Don

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:15 pm

What gets me are reviews,say on Harmony Central, where they don't like the sound and plan on changing the pick ups. They don't like the feel of the neck. And the electronics should be changed!! What the H--- did they buy it for in the first place :?

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:02 pm

mark1 wrote:What gets me are reviews,say on Harmony Central, where they don't like the sound and plan on changing the pick ups. They don't like the feel of the neck. And the electronics should be changed!! What the H--- did they buy it for in the first place :?

Hey, Personal preference. You gotta wonder how many of those people know how to set a guitar up properly with the pickup heights being just right though.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:25 pm

I just can't believe the amount of people I've spoken to and read about that think a guitar is set up the way it is suppost to be when they buy it.Be it from eBay or on the wall at Guitar Center! I know guys that play great and their guitar is set up so bad no one but them can play it.It has never been set up and they don't think there is a problem.It's all they've ever known! I'm just the opposite.I'm always measuring action and relief.I've had people bring guitars into my shop for a set up.I set them up to somewhat of a standard setting that they have agreed to and they play fine. When they come to pick it up it is way off of what they are use to. I've had them stay to set it up step by step to their liking.When I try to play it________" I got blisters on me fingers" :lol:

bluebill

Postby bluebill » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:55 pm

I finally set up a "dog" of mine and was blown away as to how far off everything was. After adjusting the truss rod, bridge, working the frets level and setting the pick-ups my playing still sucks but the guitar sounds great! (I really am a hack) Settting the pick-ups really got the tone working from a muddy mess to clear notes.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:28 pm

The thing I find is, if your playing sucks, so will your guitar (or amp). A bad workman always blames his tools.

Good Point Paul. You can have thousand of dollars in gear, and if you can't play, then it will suck. I use quite a lot of pedals too, took me a few years to find the proper placement of them for me to get the right sound. But that's just at home jamming.
If I was still active in a band playing out I would probably just use my wah, big muff, and tuner. There's still plenty of guitarist out there that just uses guitar to amp, no pedals. if you want a clean channel, just lower the volume on the guitar, it's that simple! Hey and it works too, you can't argue with that.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”