Audacity software

dubtrub
Administrator

Audacity software

Postby dubtrub » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:16 pm

Is anyone familiar with the free online download software program Audacity? http://audacity.download-latest.com/ I'm skeptical of anything free.

I'm wanting to transfer my many/many cassette tapes over to CD and found this tutorial on YouTube.

Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Audacity software

Postby Veenture » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:07 am

Last year I went and bought myself a USB turntable which came with the abovementioned Audacity program. It worked but I couldn't get it to record in stereo and besides, the turntable was of such flimsy quality that I regretted buying it. On the recorded tracks 'wow' and 'flutter' was all over the place, so I made no further attempts at transferring from vinyl records :(

Audacity software itself is no problem. I have it on my computer and when I have the time (and the urge) I shall now follow this tutorial since I still have my old Thorens turntable in the attic, as well as my old tape casette machine.

You can always scan the download with your anti virus software before using it but I'd say it's safe.

That's a great tutorial you posted Danny, thanks!

Paul

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:40 am

I have Cool Edit Pro on my computer and have recorded some with it. I haven't transfered from cassette to cd with it but my friend has transfered from recored to cd with it and it came out great. You can remove all the background noise with it. I wish I know how to do it but I haven't tried to and my friend has had a Stroke and no longer can help me with it. Oh ya I should mention that Audacity is the new name for Cool Edit Pro.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help but the program can do what you want.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:46 am

Consider buying a stand alone component burner, I bought the pdr 509 from Pioneer and it works great for tapes, vinyl, field recorders. But I do worry about future availability of "music" CDR's and of course burners aren't free.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”