Modeling guitars, anyone?

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Modeling guitars, anyone?

Postby Haole Jim » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:06 pm

Back in early '04, 'had a chance to multiple-play a Line 6 Variax 500 modeling guitar. 25 different guitar "models" in one instrument, including a few acoustics and an electric sitar. What to say; it appealed to the dilettante goof in this picker. When they went on closeout for $500, a brand new one came home.

While it does not get played much anymore, the ugly duckling does come out on occasion, and does EXACTLY what it was built to do; impersonations. In this opinion, the Variax has only one fault; it has no soul.

While the models are of course not "true" to the guitar being modeled, to these ears they do give the strong impression of what guitar is being emulated, and that's likely all a computer algorith can be expected to do from a vibrating string and a bunch of circuits.

Naturally, Mosrite is not among the models, which are standards and well-recognized stuff. The closest setting is probably a Les Paul with P 90s, which is not even in the same county-sound as a Mosrite.

Anyone else have any thoughts on modeling guitars?

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Modeling guitars, anyone?

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Haole Jim:
Anyone else have any thoughts on modeling guitars?

When they first came out, I thought it was a very interesting concept, but.....when that modeling module (circuit board?) decides to go
South, you are done, none of the guitars on board will function. Or does it have a bypass just to get a regular sound from the guitar??
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:50 am

I'm not into modeling...not even on an amp. Get the real deal if you can -is my motto. (but then I'm old fashioned too) :roll:

Chemo
Top Producer

Postby Chemo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:00 am

Haole Jim wrote:the Variax has only one fault; it has no soul.

And that's the problem. A guitar must have soul. Haven't ever seen any interesting modeling amps, either.

That being said, I find Boss RE-20 Space Echo and FRV-1 Fender Reverb pedals very useful.
This concludes my report from outer space. Now, back to studio!

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:58 pm

The Variax Guitar has no sound of its own, no bypass (the VG Stratocaster does have a bypass). If the Variax's board goes, it's replace the magic box or rewire with something like a single P-90.

On modeling amps, 'personally felt much as Veenture, until it was amp-shopping time, 6 years ago. 'Got interested in the Line 6 Vetta and the Vetta I was being closed out for the II. 'Looked and studied intentely, got a great deal on a Vetta I HD, 4-12 Slant cab and Longboard. And gotta admit, the 30-day return policy was strong in mind for a while.

Like, most of the first day.

And since, well, the purist sold out somewhat to the stupid fun that amp has been, ever since. And NO tubes to burn out and replace. Does the '65 Twin Reverb setting sound as good as the Reissue? No. But it's close, for these ears, and for day-in-out playing, the Vetta has NO flaws. And it has a sort of soul; there are Line 6 Clean, Insane, Acoustic settings on it.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:59 am

I talked to a fender dealer about this whole thing. He said Fender was thinking about going this route with all there guitars, thinking that modeling guitars would be the next big thing. but instead decided to go with "what brought them to the game", and just make really good guitars. The VG is really just the next generation of the roland ready strat from the 1990's, and I think is cool to offer, but I'm sure glad it's not on all there guitars.

as for modeling amp, I say blah. A good sounding tube amp beat these any day. I mean it's cool to have something like that to play around with, but at the end of the day all you really need is good sounding gear.
:D
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:25 am

oipunkguy wrote:A good sounding tube amp beat these any day. I mean it's cool to have something like that to play around with, but at the end of the day all you really need is good sounding gear.:D
Amen to that. You can always add your own flavours (stompboxes 'n' stuff) into the mix if you so desire... :roll:

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:41 am

The Variac was designed with a specific goal in mind, the ability to mimic various types of guitars and other stringed instruments (mandolin, sitar, banjo) without having to lug said instruments. For a cover band or a solo performer with MIDI or pre-programmed tracks from a computer this was a godsend. It does mimic the instruments very well and in conjunction with a POD going direct into the PA you can control overall stage volume.

I have played most versions of the Variac in stores and was impressed but I would never use one live becuase honestly they are butt ugly. The should create a module that you can plug into any guitar and achieve the same effect. Maybe that may be coming, but Line 6 is focusing on the M13 and M9 effect boards and it looks like they may make some people think twice about that boutique effects pedal and their oversized pedal board causing them back pain.

My band is not a "loud" band but we do have a presence sound wise. Some club owners unfortunately feel that any volume is "too much" and go apes**t as soon as they see an amp (DRRI in my case, volume on 3). And I won't go into the dodgy electrical wiring that reeks havoc on amps and guitars.

I myself have gone back to tube amps and pedals for other reasons than being a "purist" but I still use the POD XTLive on occasion becuase I find it more flexible and useful in situations where an amp could be problematic.

In the end, everything has its place as well as its pros and cons. Amp modeling may have a ways to go before being able to fool the experts, and guitar modeling may take a little longer but we are already there for the most part effect wise. Look how far we have come since Line 6 and Johnson first introduced modeling amps in 1996.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:00 am

As of April 2009, Fender took the VG Stratocaster out back, and discreetly put it out of it's misery :| .....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:34 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:As of April 2009, Fender took the VG Stratocaster out back, and discreetly put it out of it's misery :| .....

I don't think people were buying them to be honest. Either that or people did not know what they were. It was a pretty good guitar ,
at least the one I tried was.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”