My big boy...

zarfnober
Top Producer

Re: My big boy...

Postby zarfnober » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:25 pm

1484-5's can get a very nice clean tone but, a HUGE part of their distortion personality comes from the output transformer, not so much from classic power tube compression/distortion. The 1484 has one OT driving 2 speakers, the 1485 has 2 OT"s driving 3 speakers each. The 1484 has 2-12" speakers and the 1485 has 6-10" speakers, very different speaker tone and volume between the 2. The actual tone circuits are identical though, I think.

Both are very versatile amps but, most people will want an outboard reverb tank, unless the one in the amp is working perfectly and you're playing garage/psych, then it's perfect.

The OT's in these amps are very small, smaller than most 15 watt amps! The amount of iron in a transformer has a huge effect on price too: more iron=more money. Bigger OT's typically give an amp more clean headroom and a tighter bottom end, and drive the power tubes into compression/distortion. Smaller OT's typically have less clean headroom and saturate early, driving the amp into a very loose sounding "output transformer" distortion. And very pleasing to these ears :D

BTW, I have several amps for sale, what are ya all looking for?

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Re: My big boy...

Postby Haole Jim » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:45 pm

'Never, ever saw the 6-10 Silvertone before, that is too cool for words.

As many pickers, a Silvertone Twin Twelve was the first "real" amp. 'Bought one from a guy for $100 because he wanted to buy skis. 'Kept it about 15 years and sold it for more than paid for, and it needed a whole new set of tubes.

Interestingly, the Line 6 Vetta model of the Twin Twelve sounds much as these imperfect ears remember. Pleasant memory, but 'was never a wild fan of the Twin Twelve; 'wanted a REAL amp. And the model is rarely used. Maybe if a 4-pup Teisco Del Rey was in the stringed harem....

Thank you for sharing.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”