Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

ElTwang
Top Producer

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Postby ElTwang » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:06 am

Played through one of these quite cheap Fenders on a gig last Thursday. I must say that I'm very impressed with this little amp. I only used the clean channel with my Gomez tank in front plus a few pedals. And of course my fairly new Mosrite J. Maphis (I'm really starting to believe in that 'build-in-soul' thang BTW.... ;-)).

Anyways, I'm sure that some of you probably own or know this amp. Seems like there are a few models out there with different speakers options and I'd like to hear your opinion one those before I might chase down a 2nd hand regular model.

billywrecker

Re: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Postby billywrecker » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:10 am

I have the 212 Hot Rod Deville with the muddy tone modification and I use a tube amp volume box with it.It sounds a lot better at a lower volume but I still can't use it for practice.

jtr654
Top Producer

Postby jtr654 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:37 am

By putting a JBL or Altec in any Fender amp will give you more pecieved headroom and more focus EQ.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:53 pm

billywrecker wrote:I have the 212 Hot Rod Deville with the muddy tone modification and I use a tube amp volume box with it.It sounds a lot better at a lower volume but I still can't use it for practice.

Billy, why can't you use it for practice? What's the deal with the lower volume issues?

billywrecker

Postby billywrecker » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:59 pm

ElTwang wrote:
billywrecker wrote:I have the 212 Hot Rod Deville with the muddy tone modification and I use a tube amp volume box with it.It sounds a lot better at a lower volume but I still can't use it for practice.

Billy, why can't you use it for practice? What's the deal with the lower volume issues?

It just doesn't sound good at a low volume and it also jumps from quiet to loud around 2,also I live in a apartment and I don't like to disturb my neibors.
A guy on Ebay sells a mod kit to fix this.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120461150965&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
This is the reason he gives for why this happens-

"Lead Master Volume - Ever wonder why this amp gets extremely loud after you turn it up past 2. Fender uses a linear taper pot for the Master Volume when it should be an audio taper. This mod gives you usable control of the drive channel so you can get good tone without playing at stadium volume."

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:47 pm

Y'know, a decade-plus ago, a very perceptive and experienced picker steered this writer to the '65 Reissue Twin Reverb $860 at GC on sale), which can do diamond-clear, totally rich, sonorous performance at low (speaking) volume.

Almost frightening, wondering what it'd be like with a couple D-120s in the box....

Tronman

Postby Tronman » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:53 am

billywrecker wrote:
ElTwang wrote:

It just doesn't sound good at a low volume and it also jumps from quiet to loud around 2,also I live in a apartment and I don't like to disturb my neibors.
A guy on Ebay sells a mod kit to fix this.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120461150965&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
This is the reason he gives for why this happens-

"Lead Master Volume - Ever wonder why this amp gets extremely loud after you turn it up past 2. Fender uses a linear taper pot for the Master Volume when it should be an audio taper. This mod gives you usable control of the drive channel so you can get good tone without playing at stadium volume."

I just ordered the mod kit. I hope it lives up to its promise. I did the following mod a couple of years ago, which for me, was definitely worthwhile. But it won't do anything for the loudness problem.

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-Fender-HRDV.htm

Bernie
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro III Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Guitar
Martin DM Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Bass

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Classic Fender Tone at a decent price and readily available parts for repairs if needed. :D
Click on logo to visit website

Tronman

Postby Tronman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:23 pm

billywrecker wrote:A guy on Ebay sells a mod kit to fix this.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120461150965&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I just had this mod installed by my electronics repair guy because I didn't want to screw it up. I can control the volume down to .5 and it's easy to get a nice tone at low volume on the clean channel and the overdrive channel.

Bernie
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro III Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Guitar
Martin DM Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Bass

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:48 am

I recently got a 40W Hot Rod Deluxe and I'm still learning it. So far I really like it. It has one issue and that is when it first comes on it has kind of a static scratchy sound for about five minutes or so. Once it's fully warmed up it quits doing that. I haven't had a chance to take it to an amp guy to have it checked out. For a tube amp I'm really liking it though.

I have a Vox AD15VT that I use for practice most of the time and that works for me. I am thinking of the ZT Lunchbox amp. I messed around with one last week and it's pretty cool for an amp that weighs 9 pounds. They say it's 200W but I don't think it's as loud as my 40W HR.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”