Johnny Ramone gear questions

Johnny

Re: Johnny Ramone gear questions

Postby Johnny » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:25 am

rynaro wrote:email tim @ tym guitars... if doesn't know i will be surprised!!!
-R

Great idea! Why didn't I think of that! Thank's, emailin now.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:33 am

the JMP Ramones sound was great in my opinion, but I never liked the the ramones jcm 800 tone. from everything thing I've heard Johnny put everything at 10, but to me a jcm 800 sounds awful with that setting.
the guitar tone on the first ramones album was also several guitar tracks blended together.
A friend of mine is good friends with Arturo Vega, and he confirmed that johnny used an Aby box, and just left one side unplugged, to cut on and off his amps. I could try and check if I could ask if I could find out more.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Johnny

Postby Johnny » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:20 am

oipunkguy wrote:the JMP Ramones sound was great in my opinion, but I never liked the the ramones jcm 800 tone. from everything thing I've heard Johnny put everything at 10, but to me a jcm 800 sounds awful with that setting.
the guitar tone on the first ramones album was also several guitar tracks blended together.
A friend of mine is good friends with Arturo Vega, and he confirmed that johnny used an Aby box, and just left one side unplugged, to cut on and off his amps. I could try and check if I could ask if I could find out more.

Please do. The 800 sound is horrible garbage.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:01 am

the 800 is a fine amp, just use different speakers. You'll also notice huge differences in sound on bootleg live stuff from europe and other countries(continents), they often used rented equipment overseas. And that Dimarzio pickupo made a difference too.

I've played my Ventures II through at least 20 different amps and in my opinion, it sounds crappy in any amp, till you plug into a Marshall 100(or 50 watt) watt with Greenbacks. That is THE tone for this guitar, and probably the only one you'll like.

But then again that battery powered amp sounded good too.......

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Johnny

Postby Johnny » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:05 am

zarfnober wrote:the 800 is a fine amp, just use different speakers. You'll also notice huge differences in sound on bootleg live stuff from europe and other countries(continents), they often used rented equipment overseas. And that Dimarzio pickupo made a difference too.

I've played my Ventures II through at least 20 different amps and in my opinion, it sounds crappy in any amp, till you plug into a Marshall 100(or 50 watt) watt with Greenbacks. That is THE tone for this guitar, and probably the only one you'll like.

But then again that battery powered amp sounded good too.......

Rocco

I played an 800 thru a 1960A with greenbacks and I didn't like it. I also tried a THD 2x12 and some 4x10 cabinet.

The best sound (so far) is JMP 1959SLP 100W head with a 1960A high power 4x12 cabinet with greenbacks. I'm guessing a 2203 JMP 100W will sound good too but it has a very cold sound. Not that it's a bad thing, necessarily.

Anyway, going a bit off-topic here.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:41 am

I like the 800 sound is the amp is set right. presence at 0-2, bass at 10, mid at 5-7 treb at 3-5. but your right, getting a little off topic. anyway, i'm emailing my friend about this topic now, I'll let you know what he says.
Cheers,
Aaron

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Johnny

Postby Johnny » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:27 pm

oipunkguy wrote:I like the 800 sound is the amp is set right. presence at 0-2, bass at 10, mid at 5-7 treb at 3-5. but your right, getting a little off topic. anyway, i'm emailing my friend about this topic now, I'll let you know what he says.

Danke. At those settings it's pretty much like a JMP SLP.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:19 am

yeah I hated the jcm 800 until a friend of mine showed me how to set the things correctly. ironically enough this is the same guy that knows Auturo Vega. ;) originally the low power output was meant for hot pickups and the high power output was meant for low power pickups, but it works better as a clean channel and an OD channel in my opinion.
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:07 am

Hey got the email back from my friend, this what he wrote to me:

hey rich,

I was wondering do you know (maybe authro vega could answer this) exactly what type of marshall speakers johnny used through out his career. plus what was his amp settings on his plexi heads and the jcm 800's from what i've heard he put everything on 10, but of course a jcm 800 sounds like crap with everything at 10.
thanks,
Aaron

He used stock cabinets always. He had setting similar to mine when we played with them the 10 times we did. I looked.

Richard
Presence 1-2
bass 10
middle 4-6
treble 6

preamp 10
master 2-4

Johnny
Presence 3
bass 10
middle 7
treble 6

preamp 10
master 3-4
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

Johnny

Postby Johnny » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:18 am

oipunkguy wrote:Hey got the email back from my friend, this what he wrote to me:

hey rich,

I was wondering do you know (maybe authro vega could answer this) exactly what type of marshall speakers johnny used through out his career. plus what was his amp settings on his plexi heads and the jcm 800's from what i've heard he put everything on 10, but of course a jcm 800 sounds like crap with everything at 10.
thanks,
Aaron

He used stock cabinets always. He had setting similar to mine when we played with them the 10 times we did. I looked.

Richard
Presence 1-2
bass 10
middle 4-6
treble 6

preamp 10
master 2-4

Johnny
Presence 3
bass 10
middle 7
treble 6

preamp 10
master 3-4

Whoa neat. Some strange settings for sure. Very bassy. Testing out right now.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”