Home recording system?

dubtrub
Administrator

Home recording system?

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:04 am

I'm interested in getting into home recording and would like any recommendation for which unit to buy. Basically I want to be able to record multiple tracks and interface with my computer.

I know nothing about this topic. I started looking on line and there are a multitude of recording systems out there from $300 up. It's all a foreign language to me. I'd like to be able to record myself playing all the individual parts, and also be able to record a band with each instrument individually in order to adjust the mix. Plus, be able to over dub one track (or instrument) for those screw ups.

Obviously since my lack of knowledge in this area is showing through, I'll give you an idea of what I don't know. Over on the Fender Forum there is a forum "the Jam Zone" where these guy's lay down a backing track with all the instrumental parts minus the lead. All you do is click on the their link and it takes you to "Soundclick" website where you can play along with it. Then another forum member will respond with a recording of his rendition of a melody and the rest of us can hear his version. They constantly share these tunes and play back and forth 'together'. How in the heck do they do that? What do I need to accomplish this task?
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Home recording system?

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:26 am

Danny,
I think the first question is whether you want to optimize for recording a band or recording solo. If you're recording a band, portability becomes more of an issue, as well as the number of concurrent inputs available. I don't know much about the computer based units, but I've got an AKAI DPS-16 self contained digital 16 track. I got it in 2002 and I've used it to record five full length CDs plus countless demos and band rehearsals. Big features on the plus side for me are portability, 8 concurrent inputs, XLRs with phantom power, and faders for each channel. For me the interface makes intuitive sense, and I like being able to control multiple faders at once (not so easy with a mouse on a computer) Getting songs onto a computer involves burning a cd and ripping it onto the computer but to me that's a satisfactory trade-off.
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:34 pm

http://www.tascam.com/i-3580-17-64-0-B8D9DC44.jpg

DP-02

* Overview
* Specifications
* Resources
* Images
* Buy Now

$20 Rebate through August 31st! Click here for details.

Recording Should Be Easy
...and it doesn't get any easier than the DP-02 Digital Portastudio

TASCAM's DP-02 is the 8-track digital recorder that makes recording fun, ditching menus for simple knobs and faders. Based on over 25 years of cassette Portastudios™, it sports dedicated controls for level, pan, effects send and EQ instead of the menu-cursor interface found on most other recorders. You make music with two hands with the DP-02 - just reach and twist a knob when your creativity strikes.

The DP-02 records up to 8 tracks to its built-in 40GB hard drive. A pair of CD-quality XLR mic inputs includes phantom power for condenser mics and a direct guitar input. High and low EQ controls for level and frequency are provided for every channel. It also includes a multieffects processor, stereo reverb, even a dedicated stereo channel for recording your mix. You can transfer tracks and mixes to a computer using USB 2.0, or burn a master disc in the CD drive. Also available is the DP-02CF, which records to Compact Flash media to make it easier than ever to afford a digital Portastudio.

Don't spend hours configuring a computer for recording when you can afford a simple box dedicated to recording music. No other workstation makes recording as easy, affordable and fun as the TASCAM DP-02.
Features:

* Two XLR mic/line inputs with phantom power for condenser microphones
* Eight-track recording at uncompressed 44.1k/16-bit audio quality
* Portastudio-based interface with volume fader, pan, effect send, high and low EQ controls per channel
* EQ frequency button to access high and low EQ shelf frequencies
* USB 2.0 interface for transferring tracks, mixes and backup files to a computer
* Dedicated stereo master track for mixdown
* Internal metronome and bar/beat display for song position
* Headphone output
* Stereo line outputs on RCA analog and S/PDIF optical digital connectors
* 40GB internal hard drive
* Multieffects processor with guitar, bass, vocal and drum programs
* Stereo reverb processor with send/return controls for multichannel mixing
* Built-in chromatic tuner
* Built -in CD-RW burner for CD mastering and song backup

Danny, if you don't HAVE TO RECORD 4 or 5 MEMBERS at the same time, this most likely will be your best bet,
as far as portability and being able to burn a CD "on the spot" without having to go chase down a Computer...... ;)
p.s. TASCAM doesn't make anything, other than RECORDING GEAR. They have been involved in the Industry a LONG time. I'm looking to purchase this EXACT model in the near future.....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks guy's,

Yeah, Dennis, I was looking at that very model at ZZounds. I'm thinking this would be fun to incorporate into everything else I do. My only problem is I hate reading a gazillion pages of hieroglyphic instructions to learn how to operate some as confusing as this. Tascam 8 track recorder
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:32 pm

.......or eBay, brand new.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:38 pm

My only problem is I hate reading a gazillion pages of hieroglyphic instructions to learn how to operate some as confusing as this.

I BEG your PARDON??!? Is this comment coming from someone who builds AMPS, REVERBS
and GUITARS from SCRATCH???!?!? :mrgreen:

No, all kidding aside, the Owners Manuals from TASCAM are "User Friendly." And they
do make it a FUN THING. They will talk you thru step by step, so I wouldn't worry
about that.....Image
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”