New Boss '63 Fender Reverb pedal !

64sunburst
Top Producer

Re: New Boss '63 Fender Reverb pedal !

Postby 64sunburst » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:56 pm

Okay guys and gals - after reading numerous reviews on the FRV-1 it appears I am the ONLY person on the planet that had anything negative to say about it. I can only conclude that I must be missing something :oops: , so judge for yourself and don't go by what I said. A lot of people are happy with it, and you may be too.

But I do stand by my choice of the Digitech Hardwire RV-7 - it is one sweet pedal.

Byron

Chemo
Top Producer

Postby Chemo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:19 am

Hey 64Sunburst - the hearing experience depends on many things. It should be no problem if your opinion is different from the rest: it could well be that you heard some nuances that the rest of us didn't. I'm one of those who were pleasantly surprised with the FRV-1 pedal.

Here's what I wrote at the SG101 forum yesterday about it:

"I got one of these babies yesterday. Used it in a band rehearsal right away.

My background with tube reverbs is that I have a finnish Uraltone p-t-p hand built unit that is based on the old Fender unit, with a few common mods. And then I have experience on several Fender RI Tube Reverb units - reissues, never tried a vintage one.

In my opinion, they did a very good job with this pedal. I can hear a difference to my Uraltone that I've gotten so used to over the years - but to a Fender (RI) unit? Not so sure. To my ear, the difference between my tank and the pedal is that the pedal sounds a bit more like a new, unmodded Fender unit.

Of course you can do things wrong with the thang, like turn the tone way too up to get a really shrill sound. But then, I can easily do this with my tube reverb too. But when set up properly and used with other equipment that fit the purpose, I would say that the sound of this FRV-1 is convincing. Even for surf music.

*runs for cover, waiting for bullets starting to fly*"
This concludes my report from outer space. Now, back to studio!

Sixstringer

Postby Sixstringer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:53 pm

I apprieciate all of the info, because i was thinking about looking into some reverb pedals.
1965 Mosrite Ventures II
1971 Mosrite Mark 1
A whole bunch of other stuff
http://www.myspace.com/guitarjunkiejeff

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:17 pm

Hope this isn't too off the topic of this thread, but you folks seem to know a lot about reverb units.

I have a Peavey 240 Artist amp which started life as part of a combo amp, and was given to me as the amp only. We built a cabinet for it and it seems to work great except for the reverb.

The friend who gave the amp to me used the original reverb in something else, and the reverb there now is a small seperate unit or tank with two connecting wires. I don't remember the brand of this reverb but it says on the label something like "Assembled by beautiful women in Minnesota" or some such wacky comment.

It works, but doesn't seem to work well in this amp. It may be defective for all I know.

Can any of you recommend a replacement reverb unit for this amp? There is room in the amp cabinet for something larger than the reverb unit in there now, which is in an aluminum case about 9-inches long by 3-inches wide by 1-inch tall.

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Contact Peavey and get a parts number or replacement unit directly from them. You can't simply willy-nilly swap reverb units as they have to match the impedance of the transformers and circuitry.
Danny Ellison

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:03 pm

Hey, Danny--

That sounds like the right approach, though I should have thought of it myself, I guess.

That "willy-nilly swap" aspect is probably why the reverb on this amp now acts goofy.

Thanks!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:34 pm

The test is Baja. The only pedal that got close for me was the Holy Grail. Can't wait to try the Boss.
( also The Bobby Fuller Four doing Miserlou live is about the peak of the drip for me)

Chemo
Top Producer

Postby Chemo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:43 pm

brutus wrote:The only pedal that got close for me was the Holy Grail.

I've had one of those. It sounded like a spring reverb, but the FRV-1 sounds to much more like the Fender unit.
This concludes my report from outer space. Now, back to studio!

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”