FENDERS KEEPERS, LOSERS WEEPERS…

Veenture
Master Contributor

FENDERS KEEPERS, LOSERS WEEPERS…

Postby Veenture » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:23 am

As in the case of cars, it’s also with guitars that they have their strong and weaker points.

Besides Mosrite, the Fender Stratocaster is also a huge favourite with many of us here ...as well as "out there". :mrgreen:
It’s also one tough guitar but are you aware of some of the 'design weaknesses' in your Strat?

1. STRING BREAKAGE caused by the sharp circular ridges at the mouth of each of the 6 string-tunnels in the bridge section where the strings can -and often do- make their first contact (depending on the extent of intonation adjustment) before coming to rest on the string-saddles. The undue strain that these nasty ridges can inflict upon your strings, together with the tremolo arm movement, will invariably lead to accelerated string wear and -breakage at this very spot. The first strings to go are usually the ones on the treble side: E, B and G as you may have noticed yourself. It can also sometimes even add to tuning woes...This can be avoided!

2. UNINTENTIONAL VOLUME KNOB TURNING can often occur when you rest your right arm* on the bridge while playing. The knob unintentionally gets turned down -or even off! This can be very annoying but can be remedied too.

At a given moment during the many years of playing Fender Strats, I did of course notice these things and decided to do something about it myself.

Firstly, by carefully filing down these nasty ridges in such a way -and only at the spot where the strings make contact with said ridge- I created a gentle curve instead which now considerably reduces the unnecessary strain on the strings. Using a small round rat tail-file does the job nicely…and it really does make a difference!

Secondly, I solved the problem with the volume knob by placing a thin felt-washer (homebrew, 1.5mm to 2 mm) between the knob and pick guard. It sort of functions like the disc brakes on my car.

By comparison, the strings on the Jazzmaster never break and the knobs and switches are all positioned just right …but I had de-tuning problems with my MIJ copy Jazzmaster where the weakness lay -again- in the bridge but in a different way (it lowered itself slowly but surely every time during play because of the vibrations coming from the strings and body, causing the height adjustment screws to turn by themselves…)

* (as is the case with right handed players like myself).

We’ll not encounter these type of weaknesses on our Mosrites and Hallmarks etc.

Take care, Paul
;)

mosman
Top Producer

Re: FENDERS KEEPERS, LOSERS WEEPERS…

Postby mosman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:39 pm

I've never had a problem with the unintentional turning of the volume knob but I've never liked its position, as I nearly always rest my hand on a guitar bridge and on a Strat that knob just gets in the way and feels uncomfortable.
But Paul, I do admire a man who not only identifies a problem but provides a solution.
Now if you could tell me how to work this iPod thing that I was recently given I'd be very grateful.
Bill.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:48 pm

Bill, I can only operate stuff made for DUMMIES like myself :oops:
I even have my cellphone .......dating from the Stone Age... heh heh :D :D :D

PS. I wish Fender Instruments could read about the weaknesses I pointed out and act accordingly upon my findings but secretly, I think they must already be aware and realise the need to keep the turnover on new Fender strings going I guess :mrgreen: ) :roll:

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 pm

Good ideas Paul. I hadn't heard of the felt washer before; it makes a lot of sense. Personally, I solved these problems in a slightly different way, by putting a middle pickup in my Jazzmaster! With the thin switch engaged it does a pretty convincing strat quack.

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Wow Mel, you really know a lot and do clever things with guitars; things not within my reach.

That puppy looks great, unique!!!

Keep on 'quacking'! ;)

Cheers,
Paul

(PS, do you have names for the pups, like Heuy, Louis and Dewey?!) :D :) :P

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Veenture wrote:…but I had de-tuning problems with my MIJ copy Jazzmaster where the weakness lay -again- in the bridge but in a different way (it lowered itself slowly but surely every time during play because of the vibrations coming from the strings and body, causing the height adjustment screws to turn by themselves…)

If you apply a thread locking compound to the two height adjustment screws, you can help stop this problem.

I use Loctite here in the US. I don't know if it is available over there, but even a little enamel paint will also do in a pinch.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks for the 'loctite advice' Mr. Bill, it is available in Holland (similar product) and I have already used it to fix (pun here ;) ) my Hallmark 60 Custom's loose trem arm syndrome (a 'Mosrite weakness' to be fair).
Can't fix the candy apple Jazzmaster since I traded it in for another axe a number of years ago now but having said that, a vintage Sunburst USA Jazzmaster would be nice to have 'though -my original want anyway :o

Cheers,
Paul

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Thank you all for sharing.

By and large, 'personally find Stratocasters to be not as "moody" guitars as some folks claim. But a really humid summer day in metro Chicago will somtimes make the Strat a "brat."

And 'agree; a good Jazzmaster is almost impossible to have a bad day with. Anyone else noticed; the JM is starting to have a bigger following and get more press from Fender? Time for a book on the Jazzmaster and Jaguar!

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:57 am

Clear finger nail polish will also do the same thing without the binding that Loctite gives. Just be careful to not get it on the finish of your guitar. It will take the finish off! Let it dry on the threads before putting the bridge back together and use very little. It worked on one of my Gibsons that was giving me trouble. Hopefully it would also work on a jazzmaster.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”