Chicago Music Exchange

dubtrub
Administrator

Chicago Music Exchange

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 27, 2008 10:46 am

This store sure seems to have a lot of Mosrite's in stock and apparently for sale. Although I didn't notice any prices. They do have a nice display of Mosrite's and if you click on the virtual tour, you will see what an extensive supply of music equipment they carry. :arrow: Chicago Music Exchange
Danny Ellison

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Re: Chicago Music Exchange

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue May 27, 2008 12:46 pm

That Candy Apple Red in the second row down is super clean. Wonder what they're asking for that puppy? :D

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue May 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:That Candy Apple Red in the second row down is super clean. Wonder what they're asking for that puppy? :D

Strat-o-rama, if you are really interested in the C.A.R. (item# 72407), I would have them give you the S/Ns off the pots (providing they are the originals). I don't recall no neck plates on his "V" Models until the early 70s when he was trying to get back on his feet with the Company. That might also explain why there's a plastic tip on the toggle switch too. He was using whatever parts he had at the time to complete making a guitar. Although it is not marked on the Headstock "by Semi Moseley," this still doesn't look like a 60's Model. And the other 4 out of 5 I looked at scare me as well. How is it (item#72411) a S.B. '67-'68 No "Ventures" on Headstock ended up with '63-'65 Jewel (smooth) Knobs???
And one more: (item#72061) 1960s??? This one DOES SAY "by Semie Moseley" on the Headstock with the no kluson tuners.......DEFINITELY an early 70s at best..... :roll:
p.s. Don't know if anyone checked it out or not, but they have Mosrite Basses as well under the Bass Category.....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed May 28, 2008 8:18 am

Thanks Dennis. Very interesting. That 1960 date I knew was way off, and I noticed the 4 countersunk screws for the neck placement. Never had seen that in any of the 60's Mark 1 instruments, even those pre-dating The Ventures. Also, I thought all the early Mark 1's were sidejacks. I have never seen any details on the early 70's Mark 1's, but that would make sense for at least two of the instruments pictured here.
Still, they are originals!

Elnjay

Postby Elnjay » Wed May 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Bassists POV: :mrgreen:

CME does have an interesting inventory (I previously purchased a NOS Ampeg B15R there)-
I looked at the Mosrite Basses, some nice ones, fairly pricey, but not out of line-
They have a Joe Maphis Bass listed; I was ready to purchase, but- it does not look OEM-
From what I've seen and learned, the pups on that bass look different and there seems to be a toggle switch that didn't appear on what I've seen on the originals- I'm thinking this bass was owner-modified, but that's not a bad thing, unless one wants accurate Vintage stock-
Kind of the point, I think.
In the end I decided to purchase a Fillmore Ranger Mark I- it may not be a "true Mosrite" built in Bakersfield, but it does rock- an excellent instrument.

CME does seem to have the goods though, and my amp transaction with them was fine.

mosritetexas

Postby mosritetexas » Wed May 27, 2009 9:27 pm

yes they are truthful. The 1965 black bass was mine, and I did have Semie sign it. Man. wish I had it back.
I remember selling it . It was late at a guitar show I was tired and said yes in a vulnerable moment.

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:30 pm

Around Chicago, it has been this experience, a beat-to turds Mk I will usually be tagged at about $4500.

Nice ones are rarer and definitely pricier, tho 'did see a "fair" condition hollow bass last fall at a show for about $2 k.

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:22 pm

There are currently 12 Mosrites showing, for between 4 and 6 K US $

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:24 am

don't expect to find any great deals at this store, they KNOW their vintage gear, and price it accordingly. however, it's a beautiful place, and the experience I had with them, they were extremely friendly to the customer.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

mostlyrite

Postby mostlyrite » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Last Spring (2010) they changed management, and I've heard little about any experiences that people have had with the new CME.

Let me, however, tell you of two experiences that I and friends have had with the old CME, both in 2007.

When Rickenbacker put their limited-run 75th Anniversary Commemorative Series on sale (75 each of 4 different models; 1 bass and 3 guitars), a number of people placed deposits with CME for several of these instruments. When time passed and nothing was received by these individuals, they called CME. Upon checking their credit card statements, it seems that CME refunded their deposits, without interest, without notification, and, as it turned out, without explanation. The instruments came in, though, as Rickenbacker shipping records verify this.

Can you say, "somebody offered a better price in cash?" That seems to be the consensus, as these early adopters were forced to scramble on the open market in order to get their instruments.

The same year, a friend and customer from across the pond sent a pricey collector's hollowbody electric to me for restoration. It had been bought at CME from photographs and their written description, which characterized the instrument as "excellent to near mint" condition. My friend received the guitar in question and was troubled by something rattling around inside. He brought it to me here in CA, and I removed the back to find that the loose bit causing the rattle, was, in fact, a Bondo drip that had broken off in shipping. The back had been broken into three pieces and "restored" by CME's repair shop by gluing it back together and filling the cracks and misalignment with Bondo, drilling holes in spots to give the Bondo a place to grab. The whole mess was sanded with a random orbital sander--there were jitterbug tracks all over the back, under the black cheap enamel paint job put on top of the Bondo, in order to gloss it up for photos.

CME refused to refund my friend's money (and it wasn't just a few hundred bucks, either!) so he brought it to me and I finished the resto in mid-'08. I still have the back in my scrap pile...

I sincerely hope that the new owner--who is a wealthy guitar hobbyist--has put an end to this sort of shenanigans.

Return to “Links of Interest”