WTB: a Mosrite...LOL.

sloop_john_b

Re: WTB: a Mosrite...LOL.

Postby sloop_john_b » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:30 pm

Did some reading about the Excellents, sounds like they're pretty close to originals, in terms of sound and fret size, which is great. :)

gplayer
Top Producer

Postby gplayer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:37 pm

It certainly doesn't lose any points for looks. That's a pretty guitar.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Just as an aside, you might want to confirm with the seller that the cat hasn't mistaken the guitar case for a litter box. That's a tough smell to get rid of.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:45 pm

Yeah, I would have said it was a standard Excellent 65 just like the three I've owned but those plastic tuners aren't standard that's for sure.
Beautiful though.

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:18 pm

I have to express my view that the Excellents are aptly named. One of the best guitars I've ever played. You will most likely love it!

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:55 am

I'm gonna stab a guess here with regards to the platic Klusons, when manufactured as the body was a pearl white they wanted to colour code the headstock in some way?! Really doesnt make a squat of difference, theyre Klusons, that's all that matters. A fine looking Japanese copy, looks real nice...
Jason (Bushers)
1965 Ventures II Model ~ #B233

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:16 am

Wow I think you will get more use from it than the seller did. Doesn't look like he ever played it. Nice guitar
Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

sloop_john_b

Postby sloop_john_b » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:58 am

The guitar arrived yesterday morning right before work - luckily, I happen to be a guitar teacher! I got to put the instrument through it's paces for a solid five hours, and as expected, I am positively smitten with it.

It did need some work to get it "right", though. It had very heavy roundwound strings on it - 12's or possibly even 13's. I generally like heavy strings (especially flatwounds) but felt like they were hindering the guitar more than improving it. I got a set of D'Addario Pure Nickel 10's in a pinch, but that didn't quite do the trick either. I had to shim the neck twice, using business cards, and lower the bridge to finally get it close to perfect - and it is darn close to perfect!

The vibrato on these guitars continues to astound me. By far, the best sounding and feeling vibrato system on any guitar I've played to date. Better than any Bigsby, Stratocaster, or Ac'cent Vibrato, without a doubt. And the strings return to pitch better than on any of those as well.

I can't get over the warmth of the neck pickup. The last thing I expected from this guitar was that it'd be able to get into jazzbox tonal territory, but I could swear it does. The bite of the neck pickup reminds me of a Rickenbacker a bit, which is a good thing.

I was surprised by the finish when I opened the case - it's not so much white as it is a buttery, creamy color - but in the right light and at the right angles, the edges of the German carve seem to brighten up. The paint also appears to be a very subtle pearescent type.

The tuners are 60's Klusons with white plastic buttons, the type which would have come on a Rickenbacker 425 or 450.

Not much bad to say here folks. I'll be gigging with it tonight and am looking forward to getting my next one! Consider me officially "sold". :D

sloop_john_b

Postby sloop_john_b » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:00 am

Oh, a question: What is this guitar exactly called? A Mosrite/Excellent Ventures '63 Reissue or something to that effect?

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:31 am

The excellent is a copy of a '65 Mosrite.

Return to “Wanted”