WTB: Mosrite Bass

timtwo

WTB: Mosrite Bass

Postby timtwo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:21 am

I fancy a Burst finish first and foremost but am also open to others.
Looking in the 60's - early 70's range...in its original state, no mods, no refinishes.
Id prefer an all original, even if it has been in a bar fight or two and has the scars to prove it.
Im not above bumps and bruises.
Thanks for your time everyone.

tim

zarfnober
Top Producer

Re: WTB: Mosrite Bass

Postby zarfnober » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:44 pm

I have a sunburst, shortscale Celebrity bass I'm willing to let go, I never play it. One of the tuner holes got "enlarged" by someone, never got around to fixing it. Does not have original tuners either, missing pickguard too. However, the guitar is in otherwise nice shape and plays fine. Send me your email address and I'll get you photos. You can call me

630-306-8639
Rocco Egizio
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

timtwo

Postby timtwo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:39 am

PM sent Rocco...
looking more along the lines of a solidbody Ventures/post ventures style.
Thanks anyways my friend.

timtwo

Postby timtwo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Does anyone know of a secret curse I cast forth on unsuspecting ebayers via the internet? This special curse would be to convince them that their starting bidding price, if it is an auction at all, or BIN price is grossly out of line with the value of the instrument...thus me obtaining the instrument for a reasonable price.
To much to ask?!

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Tim, the Ventures and/or Ventures style Basses have climbed 'up the scale' quite a bit in
the past couple of years. What were you looking to roughly spend, just out of curiosity? :|
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

timtwo

Postby timtwo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:51 pm

It obviously varies from instrument to instrument and the seller as well...if that makes any sense.

Im not looking to get the deal of a century, I realize those are far and few between. Maybe my idea of what these should be going for is distorted.

Maybe you could help me here if I am way off...what do you think?
Combo 600-1300+
Post Ventures Bass 900-1300+
Ventures Bass 1600-2200+
(+ reserved for those guys that are found in grandmas closet/cellar practically untouched by air)
The broad range obviously is depending on inherent qualities, "all original", condition, Ohsc, beat to heck vs clean as a whistle.

I have been looking around for longer than most people care to bother...there are a few deals I shouldn't have passed up in hindsight. I came really close to paying more than I should have from a reputable large Midwest dealer whom asks for top dollar, for a 65 V Bass in burst, very well played and it showed. I kept digging and digging on details with them, it went from "it plays great, action is a little high" into...couldn't access the truss rod...dont have a tool to get to it...took apart the bass, truss was maxed out, managed to kill the pickup in the process...then took the bass off the market.

It is easy to get deterred.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:21 pm

timtwo posted:
Combo 600-1300+
Ventures Bass 1600-2200+
(+ reserved for those guys that are found in grandmas closet/cellar practically untouched by air)
The broad range obviously is depending on inherent qualities, "all original", condition, Ohsc, beat to heck vs clean as a whistle.
You're absolutely right Tim. It really will depend on the condition, originality, what 'era,' etc. etc. Also the way the economy has been
going up and down like a nervous elevator will go into play as well.....Some sellers are even asking an additional $1,000 above what
you have posted, and some have gotten the higher prices, but that does not mean that is the Golden Rule. It depends on who is looking
for that specific item (instrument)....... ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:15 pm

timtwo wrote:Does anyone know of a secret curse I cast forth on unsuspecting ebayers via the internet? This special curse would be to convince them that their starting bidding price, if it is an auction at all, or BIN price is grossly out of line with the value of the instrument...thus me obtaining the instrument for a reasonable price.
To much to ask?!

Tim: I don't want you to think of me as a bad guy 'cause I did try to help you (and the eBay seller) but you had a nice Mosrite bass that had a minor problem which I offered a solution to and I didn't see any reply from you that you had contacted Artie Neesam at Front Porch Music in Calif. to see if could supply you with a bushing. Did you?

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:timtwo posted:
Combo 600-1300+
Ventures Bass 1600-2200+
You're absolutely right Tim. It really will depend on the condition, originality, what 'era,' etc. etc. Also the way the economy has been
going up and down like a nervous elevator will go into play as well.....Some sellers are even asking an additional $1,000 above what
you have posted, and some have gotten the higher prices, but that does not mean that is the Golden Rule. It depends on who is looking
for that specific item (instrument)....... ;) .

A few months ago there was a beautifully restored '65 The Ventures model bass which went for a reasonable $1,500 plus $100 for s&h (definitely a rip-off). I wish I had gone the distance but if I had added my bid, it might have been overbid and it could have gone on past what I wanted to spend. It was a beauty. I feel good about the '72 V1 I bought from dubtrub and which stewed dude played on Saturday night.

timtwo

Postby timtwo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:09 am

Edward Lopez wrote:
timtwo wrote:Does anyone know of a secret curse I cast forth on unsuspecting ebayers via the internet? This special curse would be to convince them that their starting bidding price, if it is an auction at all, or BIN price is grossly out of line with the value of the instrument...thus me obtaining the instrument for a reasonable price.
To much to ask?!

Tim: I don't want you to think of me as a bad guy 'cause I did try to help you (and the eBay seller) but you had a nice Mosrite bass that had a minor problem which I offered a solution to and I didn't see any reply from you that you had contacted Artie Neesam at Front Porch Music in Calif. to see if could supply you with a bushing. Did you?

I'd think nothing of the sort Ed and I do appreciate your help. I did what I thought was proper considering the situation and I am on the lookout for a complete tuner for Neil...he is looking as well.

Return to “Wanted”